Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Yup. This is Happening.

So I decided to plug some life back into this blog.  It may remain breathing, or it may die when I get a job.  Which will likely never happen, so we don't have to worry about that.  Since I know you're all pining for me to finish my European diary here, I will.  But it will also be intermingled with new tales of my DC life!  You should be able to tell the difference between the two...

So here's another awesome video of my digz.  Sadly, I'm less awkward in this video.  I think so, anyway.

For those of you who don't know, Lew and I left LA on Saturday at 5 am for the cross country trek.  He's a peach and did most of the driving.  On the first day, here are things that happened:

  • Relieved ourselves on the side of the road near a sketchy Texas motel because everything else was closed.  (This is a FULL DISCLOSURE blog.  Love it or leave it.)
  • Around midnight, I started driving in Oklahoma, which is also when it started pouring.  When passing trucks, they'd splash up the road water, and the cars coming in the other direction would shine their headlights so it was like I was driving into a white void with flecks of black where the rain continued to fall.
  • Got a speeding ticket in Oklahoma just after the rain stopped.  Miguel Cruz claims I was going 92 mph.  That seems unlikely since I was pretty sure I was staying around 80-85 the whole time.  But around 2am, you lose your ability to fight back.  I did say that I was on my way to a memorial and I was so physically shaken up that I couldn't give him the right paperwork.  First moving violation, y'all!  By the way, he asked for license and insurance NOT license and registration.  I feel cheated by the media.  In the end, he gave me a ticket that won't show up on my insurance.  So I got off for the low low cost of $188.50.  I wish I had cried... 1) because I felt like I needed to and 2) because maybe he would have taken pity on me.
  • Got into St. Louis at 9am.  A full 5 hours after we had anticipated arriving.
We made it into DC around 6pm on Monday.  Pops and I sat around listening to the end of a very old This American Life until everyone (Nana, Madeleine, Tony, Diane, and Demetrius/Madeleine's boyf) arrived.  We had Chinese food and hit the hay.

Next morning, Daddy left at 5:30 for his flight back to LA.  After he left, I went back to bed for a bit before getting up for my 8:30 interview.  I scrounged up a breakfast of whole milk and shredded wheat.  I felt very guilty about opening Madeleine's milk.  Also, I didn't know anyone drank whole milk.  (The last time I had it was in eighth grade when the literature teacher (Mrs. Berry) was shocked no one in the class had ever had fruit cake as it's a Christmas staple.  So she brought in 36 tiny fruit cakes and gave us each a cup of whole milk, since she said that that's how it was meant to be had.)  Later, Nana called as I was in the toilet to tell me that she was coming to fetch me.  It was an unexpected act of kindness.  Not that Nana's not kind.  She's the kindest!  But I was expecting to hop up out the bed and put my metro swag on.  Interview was whatevs.  I got a homework assignment.  I just think those are the worst.  It's an unpaid internship!  How much free labor do you want from me!?  Oh well.  I'll obviously do it.  It's just the principle of the thing.  After the meeting, I hopped on the red line to Friendship Heights.  I then walked about a mile back to Madeleine's.  (For the unaware, Madeleine is my dad's mentor's wife who has graciously and generously offered me her attic free of charge!  I'm staying here until I have what you call "income.")  Big mistake to wear brand new heels and walk a mile mostly uphill in them.  Oh well.  Rocked it.  Grown up style.

Passed out when I got home.  Woke up and grazed until I realized that I needed to get some real food for myself and went to the market for supplies.  I was behind a woman in line who was chatting with the checker, Tenea (ten-ay-uh).  When the woman asked what her name was, the clerk responded.  The old woman responded, "That's a bad name."  But it was kind of under her breath, so it was okay.  Then she told Tenea to stay in school and that she was going to forget her name.  People are so lovely in America!

Came back to talk policies with Madeleine before moving all my junk to the upstairs room, reorganizing as minimally as possible, and then lounging for about 3 hours until it was too late to go for a run and unpacking 1/2 a bag.

Here I am,
Jess!

1 comment:

  1. So good to see you are back into business. When I first skimmed this post I thought you mentioned my brother for some reason, but then realised that it was the policeman's name. Miss you lady

    ReplyDelete